12 June 2011

A question of semantics...

A while back I went to a gig at the Shepherds Bush Empire in London (finally got so see Dodgy who were every bit as good as I hoped they would be). During one of the breaks between the support bands I went in search of the loo.

Strangely for a ladies toilet there wasn't a queue. If there had of been, what happened next might not of occurred. Glancing at the door as I pushed it open I noticed a sign saying "Mind the Step" - not an unusual sight, especially as everyone has started suing at the slightest provocation.

Duly warned, I opened the door fully and promptly fell up the step. For some reason I was expecting a step down not a shin high step up. Thinking about it though I had no reason to expect a step down, the sign hadn't specified. Just got me thinking - why had I assumed one type of step over the other?

Incidentally I wasn't the only one to fall up the step... sort of forgot to mention it to my mate...

No comments:

Post a Comment